Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Smoking Kills

Just came accross this great documentary from Dunedin Documentary maker Nick Holmes. Smoking kills....turtles. A turtle found with 1000 cigarette butts inside it was killed by... nicotine poisoning, and so the film says 1 cigarette butt pollutes 40 litres of water...

On similar tracks...I attended a Forest and Bird meeting in Wellington the other night where a speaker related that during a recent beach clean-up of the groomed beach at Oriental Bay a feature of the rubbush collected was 2000 cigarette butts....

2 comments:

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Jamie,
Bravo to Nick. As a non smoker and of an age where quite a few of my generation smoke, or have smoked, it has always amazed me to witness the non chalance with which
individual smokers can flick their used smelly butts anywhere. Even off my porch into my yard! Not many would have ever thought about the singularity of their action being part of a bigger whole. Another tie to this corporate money making cage we live in where cool guys like the Marlboro man, who died of lung cancer, and the cool Camel tell us what a great product they have to poison and kill us with. Another example of us all having to wake up. Rave on Jamie.
Cheers,
Robb

Unknown said...

Hey Robb,

I'm more shocked by how long it has taken me to really care about it.

I'm staring down at the harbour now, how many cigarette butts are sitting down there after all these years?